September 29

The week of September 30th – October 4th, 2019

Good morning R7A families –

The days are getting shorter and there is a forecast of rain coming our way for part of this week. Please enjoy the Sunday sun!

In Language Arts, in anticipation of Orange Shirt Day TOMORROW on September 30th, we will be learning generally about the lives and stories of Canada’s first peoples. We will also be learning about residential schools, with more detailed learning to follow once we start Ourstory in January. In guided reading, we will be starting with Canadian, indigenous creation stories. We have a new volunteer, Marie, who is newly retired and giving some of her new-found time to volunteering at VM.. We are fortunate to have her with us every Wednesday morning. Marie will facilitate one of the reading groups. Ms Shiau and I will also be doing some reading assessments for students who were not assessed in June. Once we have a solid idea of where our students are in terms of comprehension and fluency, we will be working with each student to set a reading goal for the end of grade 7. A number of students are reading below grade level. Reading at home is a major, essential part of catching up and developing the necessary skills for high school. Please, please get your children reading at home: graphic novels, comic books, recipes, anything that stirs their interest. Many books in room 201 for them to borrow.

Because of rain and a slippery field, the Terry Fox Run was postponed to this Thursday. I am expecting all R7A students to apply themselves with energy and positivity as they do their laps around the school to honour Terry Fox and all those who deal with, or have died from cancer and related illnesses. We have asked all students at VM to contribute one loonie or more to cancer research.  Currently, we have $5.00 with most contributed by me. Please remind your children.  https://www.terryfox.org.

Curriculum is very important in grade 7 as is a safe, nurturing and interesting learning environment. In fact, learning can’t take place without individuals feeling safe, comfortable and respected. Please speak with your children about the continuing, everlasting need for kindness and respect toward others. Now that the September, initial “honeymoon” is over, we are seeing or hearing about more negative incidents in the halls and yards. Grade 7, ages 11, 12, 13, is a very vulnerable time for: figuring out what you believe in and stand for; for learning better self-control; and that fitting in with peers has to be balanced with being responsible for your own actions, even if you are in a large group. Ms Davies and I will be working directly with all R7A students on developing community and self-care and health. Please talk to your children about the pressures of grade 7 and peers, and how you want them to behave toward others. Please also encourage your children to let the adults at VM know when they have experienced or witnessed negative behaviour such as verbal or physical bullying.

On Friday, there were huge gatherings of people all over the world, including in downtown Ottawa, to tell governments they want action on climate change now. A young, Canadian woman, Autumn Peltier, 15-year-old activist from Wiikwemkoong First Nation on Manitoulin Island in northern Ontario , spoke to the United Nations about climate change and the need to protect water. I include an article about this incredible young woman. R7A will be watching a video featuring Autumn this week.  https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-indigenous-teen-autumn-peltier-urges-un-to-respect-clean-water/

Image result for the golden rule

Ms Swail

Posted September 29, 2019 by hbswail in category Uncategorized

About the Author

I am a grade 7/8 teacher here at Vincent Massey. I have been teaching for 16 years and this is my third and best career!