May 20

The week of May 20th – May 24th, 2019

Good morning R7A Families –

Happy Victoria Day weekend. A long-serving British monarch’s birthday grants us an extra day on the weekend to enjoy the city and nature. I hope you had an opportunity to get outside and enjoy some actual warmth and blue sky. My family and I spent the weekend at our cottage and, at times, I hung out with turtles. Not sure how pleased they were but I got some great photos and didn’t fall out of my kayak!

photo of Queen Victoria

Last week at school was really busy. All weeks from now until the last day of school will be packed full of activities. On Tuesday last, a few R7A students had the opportunity to participate in a blanket exercise, an interactive lesson on what has happened to indigenous peoples since the coming of the European settlers. On Wednesday, Ms Prokaska brought orchestra members, including some R7A students, to the annual musical showcase at Fisher Park/Summit school. All through the week, all VM students participated in our FIVE DAYS FOR FREEDOM where we learned about the 5 essential pillars of a healthy community (health, education, clean water, food security, financial opportunity) and the differences between the global south and north. It was a really successful week and some R7A students were heavily involved in the planning and the running of activities.

This coming week and the next will be relatively quiet as it is EQAO testing time for grades 3 and 6.

In Geography, we are working on natural disasters. On Tuesday, we will be having a natural disaster film festival with short videos chosen by R7A students that explain about 9 different kinds of disasters. We will then move on to natural resources and learn how closely and importantly natural resources such as trees, water and minerals are linked to OURSTORY and immigration. In Language Arts, we continue with guided reading and integrating geography research with non-fiction, expository writing. I will be conferring with the students this week on what they would like to do for our last unit on media literacy.

The OCDSB is once again offering summer school for grades 7 and 8 in July, in math and literacy. Please contact me as soon as possible if you are interested in summer school for your child. Here is the link: https://www.ocdsb.ca/continuing_education/summer_school_programs/summer_school_grade_6_7_8

The annual National Capital Tulip Festival started this long weekend and there are many activities. https://www.ottawatourism.ca/ottawa-insider/canadian-tulip-festival/

Image result for tulips ottawa

Have a very good week, all.

Ms Swail

Posted May 20, 2019 by hbswail in category Uncategorized

About the Author

I am a grade 7/8 teacher here at Vincent Massey. I have been teaching for 16 years and this is my third and best career!